Friday, April 24, 2015

Popovers with Creamed Chipped Beef

Delicious eggy muffins that are Elegant and Easy!
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! Some time ago (we are definitely not saying how long) when I was about 10 years old, (it really wasn't THAT long ago!) I found an incredible recipe in a children's magazine.  It said anyone, even a child could make it.  So I got out a pencil and wrote it down. And guess what?  They were right.  I did make it then and I still make it now because it is so delicious.  The recipe was for Popovers.  Here is a picture of my original recipe card that I wrote.
















     I have ancestors from England and my mother told me that these popovers were much like the Yorkshire Pudding my great Grandmother used to make for my mom when she was little.  So I found from some research that creamed chip beef would be good served over these delicious eggy muffins. 

      I have one confession to make and that is that the beef I use is not real chipped beef although I think that would be good also.  I buy the thin sliced Carl Budding or Land O Frost -2 oz.- packages in the deli case at the store.  It is wonderful in this recipe and much less expensive. 

      I call this recipe Elegant, Easy, and Economical.  The only drawback is that much like a souffle these popovers will shrink if left out of the oven for more than a few minutes.  They still taste great they just aren't as pretty.  Because of this you need to make the batter ahead of time if you want but don't put them in the oven until about 25 minutes before you want to serve them.  They will come out beautiful and taste out of this world!
Begin by generously applying shortening to your muffin pan cups.  Add a little more than you think is necessary.  Then be sure to place the tins in the freezer while you make the batter.  This helps the popovers do just that!  Pop Over!
                                                             Now whisk the ingredients together until smooth. 
     
 So easy! 
 Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups evenly.
Bake in a preheated oven (450 F) until golden.  About 25 minutes












While your popovers are cooking, make the creamed beef.  Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat.  Add the flour and salt and quickly whisk it together until well blended.  Add the milk and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Stir often.  While it is heating open the packaged beef and rip it into thin strips and separate it as much as you can. 
When the white sauce has come to a boil for about one minute (Stirring constantly), stir in the beef and remove from heat.
Serve over popovers.
Shared with these great sites:
Inspire Me Monday 
The Country Cook 
A Pinch of Joy 
Pint Sized Baker 
Memories by the Mile 
Lou Lou Girls 
The Sits Girls 
Foodie Friday 
 
Popovers with Creamed Chipped Beef

by Scrumptilicious 4 You!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6)
    Popovers
    • 1 cup all purpose flour
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Creamed Beef
    • 3 packages (2 oz) Carl Budding thin sliced beef
    • 6 Tablespoons butter
    • 6 Tablespoons flour
    • 3 cups milk
    Instructions
    Popovers
    Begin by generously applying shortening to your muffin pan cups. Add a little more than you think is necessary. Then be sure to place the tins in the freezer while you make the batter.
    Now whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
    Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups evenly.
    Bake in a preheated oven (450 F) until golden. About 25 minutes
    Creamed Beef
    Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat.
    Add the flour and quickly whisk it together until well blended.
    Add the milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir often.
    While the sauce is heating open the packaged beef and rip it into thin strips and separate it as much as you can.
    When the white sauce has come to a boil for about one minute (Stirring constantly), stir in the beef and remove from heat.
    Serve over popovers
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I really enjoy hearing from you. Please feel free to ask questions or let me know what you liked. If you like the blog I would love to have you follow using the buttons above! Thanks for your visit!